The 2018 Emmy Awards were last week, and while we can debate the winners and losers all day, there is no debating that we saw some truly stunning styles and red carpet trends. So what was popular this year?
Sleek, Shiny Chignons
Courtesy of Instagram @thandienewton
Sleek, high-shine ponytails and chignons have been growing in popularity starting with a huge presence during Fall Fashion Week. Now, we’re seeing glossy updos popping up with increasing regularity during red carpet events. There’s no question why – this classic style with nearly any outfit from ultra-modern and contemporary looks to pairing perfectly with sweet and romantic gowns. And judging by the Emmys, this style isn’t going ANYWHERE anytime soon!
Who wore it best?
- Thandie Newton (Westworld) struck a sophisticated note keeping an understated, sleek updo with a magnificent pink sheath and pink eyeshadow.
- Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) kept it simple with a clean center part and minimal makeup to not distract from a stunning black lace gown
- Issa Rae (Insecure) who paired a simple, smooth style with a sparkling silver eye and gorgeous beaded gown
- Rachel Brosnahan (Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) had a vintage look with a classic red gown.
Get this look with my signature anti-frizz hair cleanser and conditioner for a silky smooth look!
Courtesy of instagram @evanrachelwood
From clusters of flowers to gemstones to jeweled barrettes, accessories played a huge role in red carpet hairstyles at the Emmys. While adorning your updo with fresh flowers may not work for an all-day event, a few simple blossoms pinned into an updo creates a vintage look that appears to be perfectly on-trend at the moment.
Who wore it best?
- Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld) softened a severe black ensemble with flowers, wavy tendrils, and vintage earrings
- Madeline Brewer (Handmaid’s Tale) dressed up her shining, straight copper locks with delicate white flowers
- Letitia Wright (Black Panther) added sparkle to her lovely braided style with shining gemstones.
Bobs with Curls and Waves
Courtesy of instagram @zurihall
The classic bob seems to be slowly making a comeback, but instead of the standard straight, smooth style, waves and curls seem to be the preferred look. Soft, feminine, and easy to create for most hair types, this look seems to be an updated take on beachy waves!
Who wore it best:
- Scarlett Johansson, whose short finger waves looked great with gold, glittering eyeshadow.
- Zuri Hall (E! News) showed off a fun, curly bob and glowing skin with a neutral-toned dress and a soft, smokey eye.
- Kate McKinnon (SNL), while technically longer than a typical bob, this loose, wavy look is lovely
- Mandy Moore (This is Us) – also not a bob, but her shining beachy waves are perfectly done and need to be recognized!
For soft waves and curls that hold all day without frizz and definitely without feeling sticky or stiff, be sure to add a bit of my signature styling cream!
Ready to create your own red carpet look? With my complete line of hair cleansers, conditioners, and styling products that are free of sulfates, parabens, and dangerous chemicals, you can enjoy healthy, vibrant hair no matter how you wear it!